MEMBERSHIP - LIMITED to 40 new members per Month
STATUS: Open December 1 for 40 members
The Guild will be closing registration to new members when the maximum capacity of 40 new members per month has been reached. There will not be a waiting list for new members, so look for openings the beginning of each month.
Once membership capacity has been reached, it will be closed and re-opened on the first of the subsequent month.
NOTE: If you will not be using the shop or taking classes and wish to become a member, please contact Membership@GuildofOregonWoodworkers.org
RENEWALS ARE NOT INCLUDED as part of this limit - renewals/level changes
New Membership - current format
(scroll down for Join the Guild button)
The Guild membership is for one year from your start date. You will be notified one month before your anniversary date to renew. If you do not renew, membership expires automatically. Want to Renew?: click here Membership Renewal
When you join, we hope that you will provide as much information as possible. A few items are mandatory, but the rest are optional. We use this information to better understand our members and to design programs accordingly.
WE DO NOT SELL OR SHARE ANY MEMBER INFORMATION - IT IS USED STRICTLY FOR GUILD BUSINESS.
Contact Membership Chair with questions.
Guild of Oregon Woodworkers
PO Box 80922
Portland, Or 97280
Requirements for Using the Shop and Getting Involved
1. Join the Guild as a member. If you don't plan to attend classes in person that use Guild woodworking machinery, or use the shop you can skip the rest. See "Why Join the Guild for the list of Member Benefits". Why Join The Guild.
2. Required for All: Introduction to Guild Safety Class. ($40) This class is required of all Members regardless of experience. You will be introduced to the Guild, and to the safety expectations for shop use. See Education Calendar for next available class.
3. Getting Started with Power Tools ($90) . This class will cover hand held power tools such as the trim router, drill, circular saw, jig saw and orbital sander.
4. Core Tool Certifications ($160). This class will set you up to use the professional grade machines in the shop. It will cover safe use of the SawStop table saws, jointers, planers, drill press, bandsaw and belt sanders. There are separate classes for certification on the Router Table, Wide belt sander, sliding table saw, PantoRouter, MultiRouter). Professionals only - find the Fast Track Core Tool Certification class under Education Safety.
5. Ready, Set, Go (Cut, saw, surface, glue, clamp, sand) You are now ready to use the machine room for your own projects. Ready to start but not sure how to begin making that cutting board, box or table? Look for specific classes as they come up in the Education Calendar or for upcoming mentoring opportunities. The Shop Attendants present at every Open Shop are available to help answer questions and remind you how to use the tools. Don't be afraid to ask!
6. Using the shop. To use the bench or machine room, sign up for Open Shop time on the Guild calendar (Open Shop Only Calendar). Current prices are $10/hr (paid in advance) or purchase unlimited usage ($400/6 months, $600/12 months). Payment must be made prior to shop use. There is no charge for use of the Bench Room.
7. Things you might not have thought of. Need to learn how to sharpen planes or chisels? How to make hand cut dovetail joints? Want to learn or improve your CNC skills? Scroll saw skills? Help make videos for the Guild website? So many possibilities and opportunities to expand your woodworking knowledge and to contribute to the Guild and the community. Look at Special Interest Groups, Community Outreach Projects and -
Volunteer: As an all volunteer organization, we rely on everyone's help to keep things running smoothly and productively and look forward to your contributions.
Questions?: contact Membership@GuildofOregonWoodworkers