Introduction to Guild Safety
Instructor: Jeff Hilber
Note: Proof of Covid Vaccine must be on file with the Guild prior to signing in for this session. If it is not on file, plan on bringing your shot card with your name and dates of vaccine.
Welcome to the Introduction to Guild Safety class. For every Guild member wishing to take other Shop classes, participate in the Projects groups, or use the shop for personal projects, this is a required class, regardless of experience or skill level.
Taught by a 35-year career furniture maker, there is something for everyone. For those with little or no woodworking experience, this class is especially for you.
Included in the class is a tour of the Guild Shop, introducing the stationary tools and their function.
This class is about 3-1/2 hours.
Please complete the following before class:
- Fill out the self-evaluation section of the Evaluation Form. Guild Evaluation Form
- Print out and bring a signed Liability Release form.
- Read the Guild Safety Manual and take the Test. Answers will be reviewed in class. Bring your answers on paper or a device.
- Open these Links, and review for the class.
Guild First Aid Class
Policy on the Use of Personal Protective Equipment
Portable Power Tool Tips
What is Plain Sawn?
Upon completion of the Intro to Guild Safety class, you may be directed to:
1. A second beginning class, Getting Started; required for those with little or no experience with portable power tools.
2. Bypass the Getting Started class and start the path to the Shop Certification classes.
For more information on the Shop Certification process: https://guildoforegonwoodworkers.org/Safety-Classes-&-Shop-Certification
Please register online and remit payment at once. Your registration is not complete without payment.
This is a Guild Member only class. Not a Member? Visit the Membership page and JOIN now.
Review Shop Safety and Covid Information.
Multnomah County is instituting a mask requirement again and the Guild is following suit.The county expects the requirement to be in place through the end of the year. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are implementing additional safety requirements for those using the shop. Before you arrive for your scheduled session, please ensure the following:
- You are in good health, not living with anyone who is ill, have not been exposed to anyone with COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- You have a face covering without an exhaust valve. This must cover your nose, mouth, and chin and is to be worn at all times. The Guild does have some for sale at the shop but we recommend you bring your own.
- You are willing to abide by the requirements.